So, my mom’s been asking for bread for breakfast for a while. I’ve been too lazy to do anything with yeast
This week, I made Challah. Tada! I used the Cooks Illustrated Recipe. The dough was very easy to work with: i love that in a bread because i don’t have a kitchen aid or bread machine. It’s all hand kneading for me, yar looki me muscles!
Here’s the recipe:
Yields one loaf
3 cups flour (plus more for kneading)
1/2 cup water or milk, warm
1 packet/2 1/4 tsp dry yeast
1 1/4 tsp salt (i used 1 tsp)
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs, plus 1 yolk (save the white for egg wash)
4 tbsp butter, melted
1. Sift flour, salt, sugar
2. proof yeast in warm water or milk for a few minutes
3. mix together eggs, milk/yeast, and butter
4. dump wet into dry ingredients, and mix well ( i did this is a food processor. It’s a good trick if you don’t have a mixer/bread machine)
5. knead until smooth, then cover and let rise for 1-2 hours. Punch down and let rise again for 1 hour ( i didn’t do this…it takes too long)
6. Divide into 3 even pieces, and braid like you braid hair…
7. let rise 30 minutes, until nice and poofy. Egg wash it, and sprinkle on sesame or poppy seeds or don’t sprinkle anything, it doesn’t really matter.
8. Bake in 375 F oven for 30 minutes. Cover after 10 minutes, if the crust is starting to get too dark.
If you’ve made this recipe before, please tell me about it, or gimme some recommendations of good bread recipes. yay carbs!